Of Women's Clubs
MINNESOTA GENERAL FEDERATION of WOMEN’S CLUBS
Jean Walker, MN State President
Veterans mean a great deal for Jean Walker, MN GFWC State President 2018-2020. She is proud to announce her projects for the next two years will be to help Veterans. Her theme is “GFWC-MN Supports our Stars” Her two projects will be to raise funds to send a Veteran on an ‘Honor Flight’ to Washington D.C. and to support the ‘Eagles Healing Nest’ in Sauk Centre and Anoka with supplies. President Jean will keep club members up to date with how clubs can participate.
There is much to look forward to in the next two years. Minnesota will celebrate it’s 125th anniversary at the State Convention, in Walker, in April 2019! GFWC is dedicated to community improvement by enhancing lives of others through volunteer service. We have to get back to basics and let everyone know Who We Are, What We Do, and Why We Matter.
General Federated Women’s Club of Minnesota is an awesome group of women that get together to have fun and do great things for our world. We are a group of local clubs supporting the General Federation of Women’s Club. (www.gfwc.org)
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs, one of the world’s largest and oldest nonpartisan, nondenominational, was founded in 1890 and chartered by the 56th United States Congress in 1901.
Headquartered in a National Historic Landmark building in Washington D.C., GFWC has a long history of philanthropy, social and political advocacy, and community leadership.
More than 100,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state and more than a dozen countries work in their own communities to support the art, preserve natural resources, advance education, promote healthy lifestyles, encourage civic involvement, and work toward world peace and understanding.
In 2010, GFWC and its members raised nearly $46 million on behalf of more than 136.000 projects, and volunteered more that 5.2 million hours.
Collect For Club Women
- Keep us, O God, from pettiness, let us be large in thought, in word, in deed.
- Let us be done with fault finding and leave off self seeking.
- May we put away all pretense and meet each other face to face.
- Without self pity and with out prejudice.
- May we never be hasty in judgement and always be generous.
- Let us take time for all things; make us grow calm, serene and gentle.
- Teach us to put into action our better impulses, straight forward and unafraid.
- Grant that we may realize it is the little things that create differences, that in the big things of life we are at one.
- And may we strive to touch and to know the great common human heart of us all; and O Lord God, let us forget not, to be kind.
KNOW YOUR ORGANIZATION
Mission Statement – The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international organization dedicated to community involvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.
GFWC Founding – April 24, 1890 by Jane Cunningham Croly
Motto – “Unity in Diversity”
Federation Flower – The red rose adopted in May 1940.
Song – In 1922, “America, The Beautiful” was chosen.
GFWC International Headquarters – GFWC President Alice Ames Winters (1920-1924) located a Victorian mansion at 1734 N Street NM, Washington, D.C.